Background checks

{[['']]}
I’d read about how people desirous of getting married are increasingly running background checks on their prospective spouse, but it wasn’t until yesterday that I realized what an exact and detailed science this is. It all started innocently enough. I was heading out to buy some stuff from the neighborhood store. While walking to the gate of my building I notice this lady coming from the opposite direction giving me a vague smile. I was suckered into thinking that she was a rather friendly soul and smiled back. And before I knew it I was sucked into a deeply engaging conversation with her.

This is an extract of the conversation:

Lady: “Excuse me. Do you live here?”
Me: “Ummm..yes”
Lady: “Do you know the Thaker family?” (okay their name isn’t Thaker but lets call them that to protect their collective identity)
Me: “Yes yes. we’re neighbors?”
Lady: “Oh good! Then you can tell me about their son nitwit” (okay his name isn’t nitwit but lets call him that to protect his identity)
Me: “Huh?”
Lady: “So do you know him well?”
Me: “Well we play cricket on Sundays in our building and he joins us sometimes.”
Lady: “How is he?”
Me: “Well he’s a good batsman but he needs to work on his fielding.”
Lady: “No but how is he otherwise?”
Me: “Otherwise he’s good.”
Lady: “But he’s okay na?”
Me: “Yeah I guess he’s doing fine.”
Lady: “He seems to be a very serious and professional guy.”
Me: “Yes yes. He’s the paragon of seriousness and professionalism.” (As far as I know nitwit has been unemployed for the last one year)

By this time I was seriously starting to wonder where this conversation was going and what the hell this was all about. Finally the lady decided to uncover the shroud of mystery.

Lady: “Actually I stay in this building too. I have a marriage proposal for nitwit and I’m trying to find out if he’s an okay sort of guy. Listen can you please find out ALL about him and tell me. This is really important.”

At this point I really didn’t know what to say. I mean who in their right mind asks a random stranger about another person and is fully willing to trust their opinion.

God help arranged marriages!
Share this post :
 
Nice Blog : Creating Website | Template | Mas boim Template
Copyright © 2013. MAS BOIM - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger